|"Rainfall Warning in effect...Rainfall totals approaching|
100 millimetres are likely by Sunday morning."
This weekend was the last chance this season - I'll have to wait for next year. I'm going to write about it anyway because is is such a cool trip.
We planned to camp in Kananaskis and do the famous ride on highway 40 (paved) before it opens to vehicle traffic on Sunday June 15th. The highway is closed from December 15th to June 15th to reduce the impact on Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep in the area. The ride is popular and really unique because you can ride anywhere on highway - there are no motor vehicles. It is 17 KM to the pass, with an elevation gain of 536 meters on the way up and and exhilarating coast back down. We did this about 10 years ago, and I am hankering to do it again. Will you join me in 2013?
- Highest paved road in Canada
- 34 KM round trip, two to five hours.
- Weather and road conditions: Peter Lougheed Conservation officer duty desk at (403) 591-6309.
- Start: 50.716,-115.10868 Winter gates at junction of Highway 40 and Kananaskis Lakes Trail
- Summit: 50.598913,-114.989444
- Summit Elevation 2206 Meters (7239 Feet)
View Larger Map